Saturday, September 5, 2009

Baby Steps...

No, Leila isn't walking yet, but I am. This week we finally ventured out of the house and went further than the normal 4 block radius we usually "stroll" within. For some reason the fear of the baby crying in public is enough to have kept me on house arrest for the past month; as if a crying baby is abnormal or something random strangers would approach be about and then ask that I control my baby or go home.

Our first outing was to the grocery store. Matt asked me several times if I was sure I wanted to go. This made me wonder if I was crazy for trying, but decided I was not going to let this fear keep me from enjoying my shopping debut. I normally go to 3 stores to complete my weekly shopping, but decided that probably isn't going to work anymore, so Dominicks has become my one stop shop. Anyway, we arrived and Leila was sleeping...perfect! I put her car seat carrier in the cart because I was worried it wouldn't be stable enough perched on the top part of the cart. This, of course, left me with very little room for groceries as I had to fit them in around the seat, but whatever, I figured I would make it work. All was going well until about 20 minutes in when she started making noise. I felt the panic creeping up on me, but kept on with my list. Then about 10 minutes later, her face started turning red, the squirming began, and the noises turned into full on, high pitched, newborn crying. The panic took me over so I aborted my search for the perfect flavor of ice cream for this week and rushed straight to the check out. Of course when I got there, the woman in front of me was trying to use some coupon that was invalid and having a long argument about it with the cashier. I wanted to say "Excuse me, do you not notice that my baby is crying and I am panicking and need to get the hell out of this store!" But instead I tried to play it cool and just kept saying "shhhh...shhhh...its okay...shhhh." Anyway, eventually Leila stopped crying, I paid for the groceries and I thought I was about to get back to the privacy of my car. But before I could leave the store, I had to deal with the grocery bagger who asked me to move the baby seat so he could fit the grocery bags in the cart. I said I'd rather not and could he please put them under the cart. In apparent disagreement with my suggestion, he proceeded to throw one of the grocery bags under the cart so that half the stuff in it fell out and rolled onto the floor! I was shocked, the cashier was shocked. The cashier then came around and finished bagging the groceries and helped me fit everything around the seat and underneath. Finally I was on my way. It seemed like a fitting way to end my big debut.

Okay, so with the grocery trip under my belt, I was feeling kind of confident...even though I totally panicked and left before I was finished. Matt and I decided to take a long walk to a friend's house yesterday. About half way there, Leila started in on what I could tell was going to be some serious crying. Instead of making the intelligent decision to abort our walk, we decided to conquer our fears and continue. About 2 minutes later I was carrying the baby and Matt was pushing an empty stroller. We finally arrived at our friend's and the weather had turned a bit chilly so, because we are idiots and didn't prepare ourselves for this outing, Leila was cold...well she didn't say so, but I was cold so I figured she was cold. Anyway, again being unprepared we had no blanket and had to borrow a friend's t-shirt to wrap our baby in. Pretty ghetto, I know. So after a brief visit, we turned around and started home, Matt carrying Leila wrapped in a t-shirt and me with our fancy empty stroller.

Let's just say, we haven't figured this whole thing out yet, but we are moving in the right direction. I think.

Today's cute picture of the day...Leila in her sundress.

1 comment: