Leila's first Halloween is in the books. To celebrate, we joined some of the other families of CBRE (Matt's work) and took part in a morning of trick or treating through the office. I was happy to have an opportunity to torture my child by making her wear a silly, uncomfortable costume and parade her around while people gawked and laughed at her. No, seriously though, I really was kind of excited to put her in the cute costume I had chosen for her, a hot dog, with the works.
Prior to having a baby (here I go again judging), I thought it was ridiculous when people dressed little babies in costumes for their own amusement. Obviously based on my story so far and the pictures that follow, I've changed my tune. It is just too darn tempting once you do have a baby and see all the little costumes out there! I knew I didn't want her to be something predictable though, so I searched for what I thought was the perfect costume...it made me feel like I wasn't totally giving into the whole ritual because I was choosing something different from the usual mainstream costumes, like a pumpkin. Of course, I found the costume at Target, so who am I kidding?
Anyway, that's the background on the costume, now onto our Halloween party. It started with me dropping Matt off at work and then parking in a forest preserve parking lot so I could feed Leila before going in. I wanted her in the best mood possible when I was stuffing her into the hot dog. That was a strange experience on its own. The weather, by the way, was AWFUL! Pouring down rain and windy. Anyway, we get back to Matt's office, I stuff her into the hot dog, we make a run for the office (and actually the hot dog made for good weather protection for Leila), and she seemed quite content as we arrived at the office. It took us about 15 minutes just to get back to Matt's desk from the front door, as we were stopped by every single person in between. Since Leila couldn't trick or treat herself, I happily offered to take the candy "for her." Once we got back to Matt's desk it was already time to take her out of the costume. Those 15 minutes were all she could take, and I just couldn't torture her any longer. I'd already taken my pictures anyway. Promptly after passing her to Matt, she spit up LOTS and it was chunky too. This set off a series of issues for Matt as he began panicking because she was starting to cry. He quickly paraded her through the rest of the office so the interested secretaries could see her and then sequestered himself to the furthest corner of the break room until the crying stopped. However, all this action had caused Matt to sweat (and all of you who were at our wedding know what I mean) and sweat, and sweat. In a matter of 10 minutes, the poor guy had become soaked with spit up and sweat and he still had the whole work day ahead of him! We had driven all the way out there for this event, so I didn't want to just leave after such a short visit, but Leila quickly passed out in my arms and her first Halloween came to an end. Being a hot dog is tough work people.
What a cute hot dog!!
She looked so yummy!
10:30 A.M: "Happy Halloween!! Let's party!"
11:00 A.M: Done
No comments:
Post a Comment