Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sleepless on Southport

Happy October!


Growing out of her newborn jammies..


This baby thing gets crazier each week. Make that each day. Leila has once again thrown us for a loop this week. Her longest duration of sleep at night has now dwindled down to a mere 3 hours and after about 3:30...its game on. She'll sleep for a half hour or so, then fuss, one of us stumbles over to her and rocks her, she'll fall asleep for another 20 minutes or so, then fuss, one of us pretends not to hear her, the other stumbles over to her...and the pattern continues until about 5:30 or 6, when I end up putting her in bed with me (yet another thing I had heard was wrong, wrong, wrong, and I swore I'd never get caught up in that habit...) and she sleeps for an hour or so cuddled up next to me. And then, just like that, its time to get up and start the day.

All the "experts" say, "Sleep when your baby sleeps." Uh, what if my baby doesn't sleep? Because not only are nights an issue, but the only way she'll take a nap longer than about 30 minutes during the day is if I'm carrying her in a sling or if she is in the car. So, this leaves me without any opportunity to attempt to catch up on any of this missed sleep. Poor me, right?

I think I finally understand why parents never remember the first few months of a baby's life. I feel like I'll never forget this phase because she is so amazingly cute and growing into my role as a mother has been such a beautiful experience with so many emotions I've never had, and of course because I've never experienced this type of exhaustion combined with constant activity. However, I think it must be that parents are living in a fog through these first few months, just surviving, and nature does what it has to to make you forget so you'll go ahead and do it all over again.

We are trying out the swing again after a hiatus based on her dislike of it. Here are the pictures:

"I thought I made it clear I didn't like this thing..."


Leila's wild ride in the swing

No comments:

Post a Comment