Saturday, October 10, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

This weekend we had our first two outings planned while leaving Leila at home. Surprisingly I really wasn't very nervous about it because the babysitters we had lined up were Auntie Lauren and Gma and Gpa Ish, so I knew she would be in good hands. As Thursday evening approached, Leila became fussier than normal, which escalated into a ridiculous display of vocals. Of course the escalation really kicked into action right as poor Auntie Lauren was knocking at our door, so excited to spend an evening with her adorable little niece. Ha! Little did she know that Leila's grumpy alter ego would be awaiting her arrival! So, as the situation unfolded Leila became less and less consolable, even rejecting food, which is unthinkable. The result: Auntie Lauren felt horrible, Matt decided to stay home, and I went off to the rehearsal dinner as scheduled, but feeling guilty about what I was leaving behind. Eventually, baby Leila settled down and the night returned to its normal schedule of no schedule.

The next day was Gma and Gpa Ish's turn. This time Leila decided to be on her best behavior, if for no other reason to just show us all she is in control and will never succumb to predictability. We got home just in time for her first middle of the night feeding in which I happily fed her only to be thanked with the most gigantic spit up ever. I think it was my punishment for thinking I could leave her for two nights in a row and get away with it.

So, all and all, our adventures in babysitting were the same as most other adventures we've had so far in our role as parents, unpredictable and exhausting, but worth it all.

Anyone available for next weekend?


You're going where??


Ha! We'll see about that...



The parents' big night out

No comments:

Post a Comment