Friday, January 22, 2010

The Dating Scene

I've recently started dating again. Calm down...I'm not talking about the kind of date you may first think of, the romantic dinner for two type, no, I'm talking about dating other moms.

"Mom Dating" is really very similar to regular dating. It starts with either an introduction in a larger group setting or through a series of emails, in which you get to know the basics about each other, your birth stories, the milestones each baby has reached, and of course the big one is always how your baby is sleeping. Once this initial intro is complete, you move onto your first date. This usually involves lunch and possibly a walk, because these are two things you both know how to do well with your baby. During the lunch/walk you continue to "interview" each other, delving into deeper topics such as future plans for more kids, moving to the burbs, and maybe some laughs about your husbands and funny things they do as dads. If all is going well after this first date, you of course set up the second date and so on. If you aren't feelin' it, you just say "hope to see you soon" or something like that, then you email a few more times but never make any definite plans again...eventually you forget about each other and move on to a new mom.

I've gone on 3 first dates so far. They've all actually been good and I've seen or plan to see all three moms again. I'm being set up with a fourth mom this week, so we'll see, I may be juggling four moms by the end of the week! (Unlike real dating, it's totally fine to date a few moms at a time. In fact, I think eventually this could lead to a "play group" or some kind of super mom group if you can successfully introduce all the moms you are dating to each other). Anyway, I'm thinking after dating several moms I'll probably end up settling on just a few to actually start a meaningful friendship with, but until then I'm just playing the field.

And onto Dunk (have I mentioned yet that this is our nickname for Leila??...odd, I know, but it started with me calling her Dunky-Dory, which then turned into Dunk E. Dory, and is now just Dunk. Anyway, here are a few pics from our weekend:

DJ Dunk E. Dory spinnin' tunes


DJ Dunk is distracted by colorful dangly thingy


Highchair fun..

2 comments:

  1. dunk.e.dory sounds like a word grandma marsh would make up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...just make sure that eventually you tell Leila that Dunk e Dory (is the e capitalized orlower case?) is a made up word...otehrwise she'll be runined like you know who!

    Love the name....but not sure about "mom dates"?

    ReplyDelete