A friend of mine who has a 4 month old recently asked me, "When does this [parenting] get easier...I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing!" All I could do was laugh (which I'm sure wasn't very reassuring!) because just when you feel like you've gotten over a hump, or you're feeling really smart and like a great parent, a new phase settles in with a whole new set of obstacles that make you wonder if you are really any good at this parenting thing at all! I remember all the doubts I had as a new mom...am I feeding Leila enough?...is she getting enough tummy time?...will she ever nap regularly?...etc, etc, etc. Though the answers to those questions seem so easy now, we've entered new territory...the discipline doubts.
Although Leila is actually a really good girl for a 2 year old, she is still 2. And as the days go by, I feel more and more uncertain of how to get her to do what I want. Seems simple...I'm the mom, I'm in control, right? Wrong. I find myself scrambling on a daily (okay, hourly) basis trying to figure out ways to manipulate her into participating in my plans. Just like I read every book on sleeping out there, I've now jumped into the never ending world of discipline books. I'm on my third book, "1-2-3 Magic," hoping it truly can work magic and make this new set of doubts disappear.
Pictures from the past week, or so:
I'm 34 weeks, meaning Nathan is just 6 +/- weeks away from his big debut!
Daddy and Daughter Hoodie Twins
Labor Day weekend included another step deeper into the new suburban lifestyle...our first ever block party! I guess we used to have something like a block party during my days living in Wrigleyville...it was called something more like, "bunch of drunks going to/leaving a Cubs game." But this block party was the real deal, like out of a movie, or TV sitcom. Anyhow, it was another interesting/fun new experience and Leila had a great time dancing and getting her face painted.
From a whole page of choices, she chose the peace sign. My little hippie.
More tales from Suburbia...Labor Day Parades really do exist, and yes, we went.
After the parade, we thought Leila might enjoy the big carnival set up for the weekend...
Very unsure about her maiden voyage on the ferris wheel...
Post-ride relief.
Riding the slide with Daddy...much faster than expected!
Leila develops obsessions that last a few weeks at a time. Pretending to drive is her obsession this week.
Still a lover of cleaning...even outside.
More thoughts from Leila...
"Daddy, you have buttons on your nipples."
After Uncle Doug tried to give her a zerbert, "Dougie, no, it's MY body."
haha that slide picture is priceless! :) seriously cant believe how big she's getting!
ReplyDeleteI'm dying laughing over both of their faces on the slide picture.
ReplyDelete