Monday, July 25, 2011

Almost Two


As I sit down to write this entry, I find myself at a loss for words. How could another year have gone by already?! I so vividly remember Leila's birthday last year and all the emotions I had as it approached...the reflecting I did on my year as a mom, the sadness that my baby wasn't so much of a baby anymore, the joy that the year had brought to me and Matt, and the excitement for the year to come. Wow, how this second year has flown by and what an amazing time we've had watching Leila turn into a toddler. Again though, I find myself a little weepy that she is such a big girl now, and I finally understand that watching her grow up is going to be not just the most joyous part of my life, but perhaps one of the hardest parts. It is such a complex set of emotions to be a parent...wanting your child to grow, but also wanting them to stay little. Of course, the best part of being a parent, the part that overshadows any of the sadness, is the happiness Leila brings me...and so, it is mostly the emotions of pride, joy, love, and excitement that fill me as Leila's 2nd birthday approaches next week.

Over the past few weeks Leila's independence has really become more and more a part of her personality as well as part of my daily challenges. She can be so stubborn! She has also become extremely verbal...I mean we can seriously communicate with her like a grown person which totally blows my mind. She understands everything and has an outstanding memory. We started singing "Puff the Magic Dragon" a few weeks ago (great parents huh? first Katy Perry, now Puff...) and within days she knew most of the song and was requesting a video by Peter, Paul, and Mary daily. Unfortunately, her love for Katy Perry continues, and her interest in all other poppy, crappy songs grows. On our car rides she is always insistant I search for Katy Perry's songs on the radio, therefore in the process we end up listening to Neyo, Kesha, Britney, etc. The crazy thing is that within about two notes of a song starting, Leila can tell you who the singer is and she knows many of the words (or words that sound like the words) to these songs! I'm not sure if her intelligence is normal or I'm just a super excited proud mommy, but either way, she never ceases to amaze me for one reason or another every day.

Wow, for being at a loss of words, I sure found a lot to talk about! Anyhow,
"Oma" (Grandma Shirley) just left from her visit with us, so I have an abundance of pictures from the past couple of weeks...can't fault a proud Grandma I guess!


Hanging with Oma



Chillin' with Daddy's iPod



A new favorite activity...feeding ducks at the Riverwalk


Dancing and being silly with Oma Shirley...



Snack and Sesame Street time



We've had a crazy humid, heat wave for the past two weeks...which means much of our time has been spent in water. Here's Leila during an evening skinny dip...



Playing in the fountains at the mall. Fountains at a mall? Yep, that's the suburban life!



Trip to the zoo


Riding the carousel with Daddy


Oma surprised Leila with an early birthday present...her first bike! Leila was so excited!



This is a perfect example of those complex emotions I referred to...so excited for her new experience, and yet choked up and almost crying as I watched her on the bike!

First ride

No comments:

Post a Comment