Saturday, August 10, 2013

And Then She Was Four.


"Welcome to the world Leila Frances."

Remember this?

I do.  And it makes me smile.  Then cry.  Then laugh at how emotional I've become.  I can hardly remember not being a mom, yet somehow these four years have gone by in a flash.  It will always be Leila's birthdays that remind me of just how long it has been since I've become one, so I think it makes me extra emotional about the whole thing.  Matt used to think I was crazy for feeling sad when one of the kids passed a milestone, but as Leila approached her 4th birthday, he realized that bittersweetness that fills so many of these moments for parents.  She is such a little girl now and the only "baby" thing that remains, is her sweet little voice.  I know over this next year she'll probably lose that too, and there will be no denying she is truly a "big girl."  There is, of course, always the flip side to my sadness in watching her change...and that is how fun, smart, and independent she has become.  She's such a sweet, sensitive little person, still a little shy, but very friendly, eager to help Mommy, teach Nathan, and give "big kissies and huggies."  She hates to say goodbye to people and things, she loves all girly things, enjoys eating, watching as much t.v. as she is allowed, reading, dancing, singing, and dreams up imaginary scenarios constantly.  With her growing mind, comes more opportunity for us to argue as she questions more, pushes back more, and can be very stubborn.  But even so, she continues to show us how lucky we are to have been blessed with such a unique and amazing daughter.

Happy 4th Birthday to my big girl!


The setup:  A princess tea party

As requested, cherry cupcakes with cherries on top

The guests begin to arrive!  Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty...

Here are the pretty princesses...

After a game of pin the tiara on Rapunzel, the girls made beaded necklaces to take home...


Then Auntie Lauren and Mommy gave them all manicures.  Leila is looking quite zoned out during hers...


Love her face while we all sing "Happy Birthday."

Blowing out the candle

The girls enjoying their cupcakes, cookies, and tea (aka pink lemonade)

Next up, presents!


A big girl needs a big girl bike, right?!

Bubs missed most of the action, but was quick to get his cupcake post-nap

How cute are these girls?!  Posing as "evil stepsisters"...

The birthday girl with Auntie and Gigi

After the tea party ended, the pizza party started...



And then, she was four.



No comments:

Post a Comment